There are several important considerations that go into a roof replacement. You must decide on the type of roof material suited to your budget, aesthetic appeal, efficiency, and durability. There are local and state building codes to comply with. Then, you have the task of choosing which roofing contractors’ bids to accept. It takes time and work, however, your roof does deserve special attention. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
Roof Replacement Considerations
Your roof replacement will protect your home’s interior, exterior and the foundation from the elements. It’s a daunting job, so you want it done right at the right price.
When you are speaking with prospective contractors, listen for the right questions:
- How old is your roof?
- Do you have two layers of roofing material already? (Building codes require a complete tear off with two layers of roofing.)
- Do you want your roof replacement to save you energy?
- Are you interested in architectural shingles that offer a better warranty, last longer, deliver great curb appeal and save energy?
Staying Up To Code In Atlanta
Your roofing contractor should pull all permits for you and fully comply with local and state building codes. If not, you could face penalties and possibly void your roof warranty.
- As of January 1, 2014, drip edges are required for all residential shingle roofs at eaves and gables. Drip edges offer waterproofing features and add a nice aesthetic and finished look.
- Flashing is a required building code to prevent moisture from penetrating through roof joists, walls, adjoining walls, and other moisture permeable materials. Flashing and counter-flashing must consist of sheet metal.
- You may reroof over an old roof if the new roof has its own support structure, such as metal panels/shingles.
Choosing a Roofing Contractor
When a roofing contractor asks the right questions, you can make an educated decision on the type of roof replacement and home exteriors you want for your home.
Accept at least three bids. While money is, of course, a factor, hiring the right contractor is vital for a successful project and future service work.
- Check references and contractor portfolios.
- Only work with contractors that abide by local and state licensing and insurance requirements.
- Check with the local Better Business Bureau for prospective contractors.
- Work with a contractor with a dedicated project manager.
Contact Echols Roofing & Home Improvements in Atlanta for your next roof replacement and home exteriors project.