Storms, hail, rain and weather extremes, that happen in Atlanta or other areas of Georgia, may have you in the market for a roofing contractor. Where do you find a roofing contractor that’s reputable and won’t empty your wallet? We’ve compiled a guide to help you through this process.
Assess Your Immediate Needs
- Contact your insurance agent for an approved list of roofing contractors if you’ve been left with a large hole in your roof. Immediate coverage is needed before further damage occurs.
- Most roofing repair situations can be researched prior to picking a roofing contractor. It’s still a good idea to contact your insurance agent for a list of roofing contractors to get you started.
Check EVERY Roofing Contractor Carefully
- Beware of contractors that “appear” overnight when you’ve been hit hard by storms. Some are not reputable and are trying to pressure homeowners to pay up front for services not yet rendered. Don’t do it!
- Check them out with the Better Business Bureau.
- Get references from previous clients and call them.
- Look to see where they’re located – their home office. Local is ALWAYS better.
- Find out how long they’ve been in business.
- Visit their website to see how professional they present themselves.
- See if they offer you a business card and/or brochure with contact names and phone numbers…call them to see who answers and how they answer.
Narrow Your Selections and Keep Doing Your Homework
- Verify that they carry their own worker’s compensation and liability insurance.
- Request verification that ALL certifications are up to date. Be specific in asking for certifications on specific types of roofing materials that might not be considered standard.
- Get your pricing estimates “in writing”. It should include the cost of roofing materials, installation labor and the estimated start and finish dates. It’s best to get at least three estimates so you can make comparisons. The cheapest is not always best – refer back to their BBB rating and references.
- Inquire about guarantees or product warranties. Perhaps they offer a repair or maintenance program that could help keep your roof in good condition for years to come.
Making the effort to research your roofing contractor is worth the time it takes. After it’s all said and done, your satisfaction as a happy customer is what counts for us. To learn more about a known local professional, Echols Home Improvements, contact us today.