Atlanta’s often mild climate appeals to many people and makes it a vacation destination for many others. However, Atlanta residents understand Mother Nature will have the final say and bring severe weather to the area.
Your Atlanta-area home’s roof often feels the brunt of heavy storms. In turn, you may need emergency roof repairs. So, what should you do when the unexpected severe weather happens? Here are some guidelines.
1. Have a contractor on speed dial
You need a dependable, experienced roofing contractor when your roof suffers severe storm damage. Your best bet is to hire a roofer who’s 1) local, 2) well-certified, 3) honest, and 4) understands the insurance claim process.
2. Call your insurance company
Call your homeowner’s insurance company (and your roofing contractor) ASAP when your roof needs emergency repair. Your insurer will give you a claims number you should share with your roofer on the same day.
3. Don’t worry about things
There’s no need to become overly-stressed after a severe storm hits, but it is essential to act quickly. Damage is likely to spread the longer you wait. Get the ball rolling by calling your insurer and roofing contractor.
You can always move things if the damage extends to inside your home. Tarps can be used to cover large damaged areas of your roof before repairs begin.
4. Be prepared for storms
Preparing your roof and having a storm damage plan in place can help lessen the extent of emergency repairs.
- Review your homeowner’s policy every year to understand what it covers in the event of storm damage. It’s also a good idea to call your insurer to verify your coverage if a storm is imminent.
- Regular roof maintenance is another ounce of prevention for preventing more extensive storm damage. Preparing your roof in advance helps protect your home from the top down. It’s similarly important to schedule regular inspections from a trustworthy roofing contractor.
5. Work with a local, trusted roofer
There are many reasons why it’s beneficial to choose a local roofer, including the convenience of having them nearby to fix future problems. A local contractor is more likely to treat your home as their own. They understand the climate and area roofing needs.
Echols Roofing of Atlanta has the knowledge and experience to handle emergency repairs. Give them a call after a storm hits.