Working with a roofing company is like engaging with any professional, if you have done your homework. If you did not carefully screen the contractor who will be responsible for safeguarding your Atlanta home’s roof, you may spend most of your time scrambling to fix problems you did not cause.
Homework Before the Home Work
Screen a roofing company with a few careful questions, and listen carefully for the answers. CertainTeed, one of the top manufacturers Echols Roofing partners with for residential work, suggests questions like these:
- What is the full name and address of your company? (Echols Roofing is on Broad Street off of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard in Chamblee, Georgia; our PO Box is 81966)
- Does your company carry insurance? (Echols is fully insured to protect homeowners)
- Are you licensed? (Echols Roofing holds Georgia license #RBCO005575)
- How long have you been in business? (Echols Roofing has been in business more than 50 years)
Once you decide on a competent, reliable roofing company, you still have some work to do as the contractor goes about your roof replacement.
Keep lines of communication open between the site supervisor and yourself. Surely you will have questions. Write them down, leaving space between your questions so you can record what the roofing company’s representative tells you.
- How will plants and landscaping be protected?
- What are the roofing company’s responsibilities for cleanup?
- Will the company use a magnet to pick up stray bits of metal off the lawn?
- What sort of staging area will the contractor need?
As the work progresses, you will face disruption to your household, but generally the main issue will be noise. Roofing work is noisy, and there is no getting around it.
Workers will be on your roof, which can vibrate your house walls. You may want to secure especially fragile or sentimental items against shakes and falls. You are not responsible for entertaining or refreshing roofing crews, but letting the workers use a bathroom is considerate.
If your Atlanta-area home has decks and porches, you may want to clear them of furniture, plants and toys. Keep children and pets away from the work area for everyone’s safety. Ask the site supervisor for updates at the end of each workday.
Echols Roofing, your dependable, local roofing company, is always prepared to work with you on any job, from roofing to home improvement. Contact Echols Roofing today!Read: Pick the Best Atlanta Roofer for Your Home